Monday 5 September 2016

How to show up

Some success gurus like to say that 50% of success is just showing up.

And I agree with that. We should all show up, because 50% of success is just showing up. Woody Allen puts it at 80%.

But how the hell should you show up? That's the part they never tell us. "Show up", they say. "You're already better off than those who don't show up. You're winning!"

So how should you show up? 

Eighty percent of success is just showing up - Woody Allen.



In terms of what to wear and do: Show up with a bouquet of flowers? Show up with a dictionary? Show up in a suit and tie?

In terms of timing: Show up ten minutes before it starts? Or 10 minutes after it starts?

In terms of consistency: Show up once, and then disappear?

In terms of who you show up with: Show up with your gang? Or just show up alone?

That's the part they never mention. So I thought that I'd like to record a few thoughts of how to show up.

First, show up on time. Early if possible.

You don't have to be extra early, just early will do. Late will not do, but if it's a choice between late and absent, choose late. If it's a choice between late and early, choose early.

Some time back I joined a networking organization called BNI. Meetings were at 7.00am in the morning. Members had to show up 15 minutes before the meeting started. But in my chapter, there was a florist named Jeffrey. He would show up as early as 6.00am just to arrange the furniture. He was able to make it a consistent thing.

He got a lot of business from the chapter. And I found out from one of the other members that he didn't do any other marketing. All he did was show up, early. One hour before the meeting. When he was that early, there was a lot of things he could do. He could help arrange the furniture, set up the projector, and even have decent conversations with the other members. If anyone brought a guest, he could have a chat with them, too.

So that's why you should turn up on time. But I am always reminded of Dato Ameer Mydin, when he gave a talk to some MBA students. I was there. He said, he used to tell people that they have to be present ten minutes before an event starts. But times have changed, he said, and so if you're ten minutes early, you're late. You need to show up twenty minutes before the event.

If you're a lawyer, you need to be in court on time. If the case is called and the lawyer isn't present, it could be struck off or a judgment in default taken against the client.

Second, show up consistently.

You need to show up every time you need to show up. So show up. Be present. 

A few years ago I received a phone call. I was asked to attend a public speaking training that would require a few days' commitment. Venue: Somewhere in Janda Baik. Could I attend? I decided that I would make the time. And I am glad that I went. I made some friends there. I am still in touch with them.

In some societies there is a rule that if you're absent three times in a row, the committee can remove you from your position. So you need to know that, and be present at least one meeting out of three.

If it is a choice between not attending at all, and occasional attendance, choose occasional attendance. If it's a choice between consistent attendance and occasional attendance, choose consistent attendance. 

Because people will notice you if you're there, every time. When others are sick and absent, you're there. When others are not able to make it, you're there. Soon they'll think that you're dependable. Rock solid.

I read a book called "The Slight Edge" recently. The author said that his daughter had gotten into a top-ranked college. All her classmates were top students. She was terrified of the competition. He told her two things: (1) Show up, for every class. (2) Make an effort, to revise everyday. Soon she found that her clever classmates were skipping class, because most of them thought they were clever. They were clever, but lazy cleverness cannot outperform earnest consistency. And so the girl emerged at the top of her class. When others were sleeping in their dorms, she was there. When others missed the explanations of the professor, she was there. When they failed to deliver, she was there.

And when the top honours were called, she was there, too.

The power of consistency. Apply it to showing up and you're already ahead of the competition.
Are you a student? Be sure to show up for class consistently. Every class, if possible.

Third, dress for the occasion.

A friend once invited me for a conversation with a minister. He had invited only a few of us. I went in a shirt and tie. Everybody else had a coat. Even the minister had a coat. I felt embarassed. 

After the meeting, my friend turned to me and asked, "I thought that you were always well dressed. What happened today?" I explained that I was rushing and I had left my coat in the car.

They never invited me for any meetings with ministers after that. Today my friend is a minister himself. I make sure to wear a coat when I see him.

It might sound logical, but some people fail to remember it at times. I know this uncle who wears shorts and t-shirt when he goes to government department. "Uncle, what!" is his explanation. The people at the counter treat him accordingly. 

Fourth, sometimes you can show up through a florist.

When someone has success or a special occasion, you can send a bunch of flowers with a congratulatory message. When someone has recently suffered the passing of a loved one, you can send a wreath of flowers with a message of condolence.

The trick to this is that you have to be timely. Try to send it as soon as possible after the event has taken place. If you heard it in the morning, get it sent over in the afternoon. If you send it after the funeral is over, you're wasting money.

Sometimes they appreciate your gesture. It's really your call. Of course it costs money, but if it's the type of message that you want to send -- "I care enough for you to send you this bunch of flowers" -- then do it. These are the sort of things that people will remember, later on in life. "He sent over a bunch of flowers when my daughter was born." Something like that.

Of course a card is cheaper, but nothing says "I really care!" like a bunch of flowers. At least, that's what my florist friend told me once.

A wreath can convey your concern and care.


Be sure to show up.

Thanks for reading.

Here are some other pieces from me.

No comments:

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

Giveaway of the Day

Giveaway of the Day